ConservatorshipDo you know anyone who is unable to take care of themselves any longer? Perhaps you have an aging relative suffering from Dementia or Alzheimer’s and they require around-the-clock care and you simply cannot do it and provide for your own family at the same time. Our population is getting older. For a variety of reasons, the elderly are vulnerable to the greed of not only their own family but also friends, neighbors, telemarketers and internet scammers. While California has some of the most progressive anti-elder abuse laws, once the money is gone, it is gone forever.

Aging and financial elder abuse are becoming more and more common. If your loved-one or a friend has not planned for the effects of aging, what can you do?

Conservatorship is not just for the elderly. You may have a disabled child who is reaching adulthood. Can your child make financial decisions for her or himself? Do they need help? Unfortunately, from a legal standpoint, your rights as parents end when your child reaches the age of 18. But your duties and responsibilities to your child do not end there, right? In order to ensure your disabled child is cared for properly, you will need to establish a conservatorship through the court. Through the proper use of a conservatorship and special needs trust planning, your child will be properly provided for, even when you are no longer here.


A Conservator is a person or organization chosen to protect and manage the personal care or finances, or both, of someone who has been found by a judge to be unable to do so. The person being conserved is called the Conservatee.

If you know of someone who needs help with their finances or personal care, consider a conservatorship. The Jordan Law Office will assist with determining whether or not a person needs to be conserved. We gather the required evidence to prove the need for a conservatorship. The person requesting the conservatorship is usually a loved one who may or may not want to be appointed conservator.


Do you know anyone who has a special needs child?

Under California law, the special needs child is an adult when he or she turns 18 years old. When the child turns 18, the parents’ authority to manage their special needs child’s affairs ends. But is that child really capable of managing their own personal or financial needs. One or both parent will need to petition the court to be appointed conservator and retain the power to look after their child. The Jordan Law Office assists parents in retaining the legal authority to keep their special needs child safe.